Business and Enterprise Register
The Business and Enterprise Register (BER) contains all enterprises and business in private and public law which are domiciled and exercise an economic activity in Switzerland. The Federal Statistical Office (FSO) uses the BER as an address register for statistical surveys on businesses and workplaces. Other offices of the federal administration and numerous cantons also use the BER for statistical or administrative purposes.
The computer-assisted database has links to administrative and statistical sources and is continuously updated. Every year over 400'000 updates are made.
The BER contains the following information:
- Name and address of the enterprise or business
- Municipality number
- BER number: a non-significant 8-digit registration number
- UID: enterprise identification number
- Number of employees by sex and working hours
- Type of economic activity (NOGA)
- Legal form
- Date of entry or cancellation in trade register
- Date of notification of opening or closing of enterprise or business
- Capital stock of limited company
- For agricultural enterprises: the number of large cattle units, information on land use, profession and age of head of enterprise
- For state-owned forestry enterprises: forest area