Foreign labour force

In 3rd quarter 2022, 1.718 million persons of foreign nationality worked in Switzerland. Four in five workers (79.4%) came from an EU/EFTA state or the United Kingdom and the rest from a third party state (20.6%). Persons holding a settlement permit (permit C) were in the majority (44.5% of employed foreign nationals), followed by holders of a residence permit (permit B or L, in Switzerland for 12 or more months; 28.6%), cross-border commuters (permit G; 21.6%) and holders of a short-term residence permit (permit L, in Switzerland for under 12 months; 2.3%).

The share of persons with foreign nationality among the employed population (domestic concept) increased from 25.6% in 1991 to 32.2% in 2021. While the share of foreign workers slightly decreased until the early 2000s, it has constantly increased every year since 2004.

Further information

Publications

Press releases

Related topics

Statistical sources and concepts

Contact

Federal Statistical Office Section Labour Force
Espace de l'Europe 10
CH-2010 Neuchâtel
Switzerland
Tel.
+41 58 463 64 00

Monday to Friday
9.00–11.30 and 14.00–16.00

Contact

Remark

Our English pages offer only a limited range of information on our statistical production. For our full range please consult our pages in French and German (top right hand screen).

https://www.bfs.admin.ch/content/bfs/en/home/statistics/work-income/employment-working-hours/economically-active-population/foreign-labour-force.html