The structural survey is a component of the Population Census and complements information obtained from registers with additional statistics on the structure of the population. In this survey, part of the population fill in a written questionnaire. The first results are available one year after the reference day.
The main characteristics
- sample survey of at least 200,000 people;
- covers persons aged 15 and over living in a private household;
- can be answered by internet or by completing written questionnaire;
- is conducted annually with reference day 31 December. The reference day coincides with the register survey. In this way, the dates of both surveys can be combined;
- provides information on population, households, families, housing, employment, mobility, education, language and religion;
- provides answers at the following geographical levels: Switzerland, major regions, cantons and communes with 15,000 inhabitants and more;
- the results can aggregated over 3 and 5 years. This allows analyses to be made at a lower geographical level or in more detail on certain topics;
- Cantons and cities can enlarge the sample.
ContactFederal Statistical Office Section Population
Espace de l'Europe 10
- 0800 99 77 00
Monday to Friday
Saturday to Sunday
Buildings and Dwellings statistics (BDS)