The Swiss residential property price index (IMPI) measures changes in the market prices for residential properties in Switzerland. The Federal Statistical Office (FSO) calculates the index every quarter on the basis of some 7000 real estate transactions from all regions of Switzerland. Only purchase prices from the open market are recorded (preferential prices such as pre-inheritances are excluded).
The residential property price index (IMPI) is an economic indicator. In particular it is used:
- To monitor financial market stability
- For the Swiss National Bank's monetary policy
- As a basis for decisions on real estate purchases
- In research and analysis
- In other areas of official statistics (the national accounts, for example)
- In international comparison.