Foreign labour force

In 1st quarter 2024, 1.812 million persons of foreign nationality worked in Switzerland. Four in five workers (78.3%) came from an EU/EFTA state or the United Kingdom and the rest from a third party state (21.7%). Persons holding a settlement permit (permit C) were in the majority (43.6% of employed foreign nationals), followed by holders of a residence permit (permit B or L, in Switzerland for 12 or more months; 29.7%), cross-border commuters (permit G; 21.9%) and holders of a short-term residence permit (permit L, in Switzerland for under 12 months; 2.3%).

The share of persons with foreign nationality among the employed population (domestic concept) increased from 25.6% in 1991 to 33.8% in 2023. While the share of foreign workers slightly decreased until the early 2000s, it has constantly increased every year since 2004.

Further information


Press releases

Related topics

Statistical sources and concepts


Federal Statistical Office Section Labour Force
Espace de l'Europe 10
CH-2010 Neuchâtel
+41 58 463 64 00

Monday to Friday
9.00–11.30 and 14.00–16.00



Our English pages offer only a limited range of information on our statistical production. For our full range please consult our pages in French and German (top right hand screen).