The “Open government data strategy in Switzerland for the period 2019 to 2023” was approved on 30 November 2018 by the Federal Council. Its aim is to make all open data from the federal administration available to the public on the opendata.swiss portal.
The publication of open government data reinforces transparency, participation and innovation in all sectors of society. The federal services are gradually disseminating their data openly on opendata.swiss to apply this principle in a sustainable and consolidated manner. These data are made available free of charge and in a computer-readable format. Other existing data will also be gradually made available to the public (e.g.: data from the cantons, communes, cities or parastate enterprises). It should be noted that this principle does not apply if there exists a legitimate, important opposing interest such as data protection reasons.
The strategy has five aims:
- To promote the coordinated publication of data
- To guarantee the quality of data and their description
- To continue operation of the opendata.swiss centralised portal
- To create and use a central register of official data
- Encourage the use of data